financetom
Business
financetom
/
Business
/
PUBG publisher Tencent reports first ever decline in revenue due to Chinese crackdown and COVID-19
News World Market Environment Technology Personal Finance Politics Retail Business Economy Cryptocurrency Forex Stocks Market Commodities
PUBG publisher Tencent reports first ever decline in revenue due to Chinese crackdown and COVID-19
Aug 17, 2022 6:46 AM

Tencent, the Chinese multinational technology and entertainment company, reported its first quarterly decline in year-over-year revenue because of tighter regulations surrounding gaming in China and the resurgence of COVID-19.

Share Market Live

NSE

The company reported a revenue of 134.03 billion Chinese yuan ($19.78 billion), a 3 percent year-on-year decline. Refinitiv consensus estimated the revenue to be at 134.6 billion yuan.

Profit attributable to equity holders of the company stood at 18.62 billion yuan, a decline of 56 percent from the corresponding period a year ago.

Due to a resurgence of COVID in China and subsequent lockdowns of major cities, including Shanghai, Tencent faced macroeconomic headwinds in the quarter. The world's second-largest economy has been disrupted by the government's zero-Covid policy.

In the second quarter, China's economy grew by just 0.4 percent, missing analysts estimates.

As a result of stricter regulations, China's domestic video games industry has also faced challenges. Gaming accounts for about a third of Tencent's revenue.

Also read: China's premier issues stark economic warning and lists 33-point plan for officials to work on

Last year, Chinese regulators introduced a rule limiting the number of time children under 18 years old could spend playing online games to a maximum of three hours a week and only during specific times.

Another setback was China’s policy of games requiring to get the green light from regulators before being released and monetized. According to a report in CNBC, regulators froze the approval of new games between July 2021 and April this year.

Analysts at China Renaissance said in a note published last month that Tencent launched just three mobile games in the second quarter. So the company has relied on its existing popular titles to generate revenue.

The company said in its quarterly results filling that it saw decreased revenue in the second quarter from some of its hit games like PUBG Mobile and Honor of Kings.

Tencent said second-quarter domestic games revenue fell 1 percent as compared to the corresponding period last year and stood at 31.8 billion yuan, while international games revenue fell the same percentage amounting to 10.7 billion yuan.

The Chinese technology giant said the "international games market “experienced a post-pandemic digestion period", as reported by CNBC.

During the height of the pandemic and lockdowns globally, people turned to games for entertainment and companies like Tencent and rival NetEase saw a big boom. But since countries have re-opened, people are spending less time.

Also read: GST Council nominated GoM on online gaming, casinos and race courses stuck in limbo

Comments
Welcome to financetom comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Related Articles >
Exclusive-China's champion gymnast Li Ning considers taking company private, sources say
Exclusive-China's champion gymnast Li Ning considers taking company private, sources say
Mar 11, 2024
HONG KONG (Reuters) - Chinese billionaire entrepreneur and Olympic champion Li Ning is considering taking his namesake sportswear company private from the Hong Kong stock exchange, four people said, adding to a string of such potential deals in a faltering market. Li is considering leading a consortium to buy out Li Ning Co Ltd, which has a market cap of...
CDU, coker shut by leak at TotalEnergies Texas refinery, sources say
CDU, coker shut by leak at TotalEnergies Texas refinery, sources say
Mar 11, 2024
HOUSTON (Reuters) -The coker and small crude distillation unit (CDU) were shut by a leak on the gasoline-producing fluidic catalytic cracker (FCC) at TotalEnergies' 238,000 barrel per day Port Arthur, Texas refinery, people familiar with plant operations said. The 40,000-bpd ACU-2 CDU and 60,000-bpd coker are expected to be shut for one to two days while a clamp is fabricated...
Tesla, rivals get low marks for automated-driving technology
Tesla, rivals get low marks for automated-driving technology
Mar 11, 2024
DETROIT (Reuters) - Tesla's Autopilot and Full Self Driving technology and nine other assisted-driving systems marketed by major automakers received poor ratings from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in a new study released on Tuesday. The IIHS, a safety research arm of the insurance industry, also said there is no evidence that Autopilot or other assisted-driving systems have...
Japan to expand offshore wind development into exclusive economic zone
Japan to expand offshore wind development into exclusive economic zone
Mar 11, 2024
TOKYO, March 12 (Reuters) - Japan's government on Tuesday approved a draft amendment to existing legislation to allow for the installation of offshore wind power in exclusive economic zones (EEZ), a milestone towards the country's goal of carbon neutrality by 2050. Japan aims to have 10 gigawatt (GW) of offshore wind power projects by 2030 and up to 45 GW...
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.financetom.com All Rights Reserved