financetom
Economy
financetom
/
Economy
/
US President Donald Trump cancels planned Davos trip as shutdown drags on
News World Market Environment Technology Personal Finance Politics Retail Business Economy Cryptocurrency Forex Stocks Market Commodities
US President Donald Trump cancels planned Davos trip as shutdown drags on
Jan 10, 2019 9:40 PM

US President Donald Trump on Thursday canceled a planned visit later this month to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, signaling he was prepared for the political showdown over the partial federal government shutdown to stretch into late January.

Share Market Live

NSE

It was unclear whether the shutdown, now in its 20th day, would end before the start of the global economic meeting, which is scheduled for January 22 to 25. Trump and congressional Democrats are in a battle over funding for the government and Trump's long-promised wall along the US-Mexico border.

"Because of the Democrats intransigence on Border Security and the great importance of Safety for our Nation, I am respectfully cancelling my very important trip to Davos, Switzerland for the World Economic Forum," Trump wrote on Twitter.

The president had told reporters at the White House earlier on Thursday that he intended to speak at the forum but would not attend if the shutdown continued.

The cancellation quashes any opportunity for Trump to meet with other world leaders about economic issues, including trade.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told reporters after a briefing with lawmakers on Capitol Hill that he was talking with the White House about whether he would still make the trip to Switzerland.

"My guess is if we do continue it, it will be in a scaled-back version," Mnuchin said.

The Trump administration is engaged in trade talks with the European Union and China, among others.

China and the United States have agreed to a 90-day pause in implementing tariffs in order to hammer out a trade deal.

China's vice president, Wang Qishan, was expected to attend the Swiss meeting, but it was unclear whether any talks had been planned between him and Trump.

First Published:Jan 11, 2019 6:40 AM IST

Comments
Welcome to financetom comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Related Articles >
Fed's Goolsbee sees another 125 bps of rate cuts by end-2025
Fed's Goolsbee sees another 125 bps of rate cuts by end-2025
Nov 15, 2024
(Reuters) - Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago President Austan Goolsbee on Friday signaled he feels the U.S. central bank will likely end up cutting the policy rate by another quarter of a percentage point this year and a full percentage point further next year, as Fed policymakers projected in September .  I think we are going to be looking at...
US judge strikes down Biden overtime pay rule
US judge strikes down Biden overtime pay rule
Nov 15, 2024
(Reuters) - A federal judge in Texas on Friday permanently blocked a Biden administration rule that would have made about 4 million more salaried U.S. workers eligible for overtime pay. U.S. District Judge Sean Jordan in Sherman, Texas, said the U.S. Department of Labor rule that took effect in July improperly bases eligibility for overtime pay on workers' wages rather...
Powell says no need for Fed to rush rate cuts given strong economy
Powell says no need for Fed to rush rate cuts given strong economy
Nov 15, 2024
DALLAS (Reuters) - Ongoing economic growth, a solid job market, and inflation that remains above the 2% target means the U.S. central bank does not need to rush to lower interest rates and can deliberate carefully, Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said on Thursday. In remarks that align with a developing expectation in financial markets for fewer rate cuts next...
Weekly Jobless Claims Decline to Lowest Level Since May
Weekly Jobless Claims Decline to Lowest Level Since May
Nov 15, 2024
02:33 PM EST, 11/14/2024 (MT Newswires) -- Weekly applications for unemployment insurance dipped to the lowest level since May, while continuing claims retracted, according to US government data released Thursday. The seasonally adjusted number of initial claims dropped by 4,000 to 217,000 in the week ended Saturday, the lowest point since May 18, according to the Department of Labor. The...
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.financetom.com All Rights Reserved