April 27 (Reuters) - BHP Group ( BHP ) is considering
making an improved offer for Anglo American after its
$39 billion initial proposal was rejected by the London-listed
miner, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.
BHP is in discussions on a revised bid for Anglo American to
be made in coming weeks, the source said. The deliberations are
ongoing and the group has not yet made a decision on the size
and structure of the new proposal, the source added.
BHP said it does not comment on what it called "rumour and
speculation", while Anglo American did not immediately respond
to a Reuters request for comment.
Anglo American rejected BHP's $39 billion takeover offer on
Friday, saying it significantly undervalued the miner and its
future prospects.
Under UK takeover rules, BHP has until May 22 to come back
with a formal offer for Anglo American. It is expected to
sweeten its 25.08 pounds per share offer to try to clinch a deal
that would create the world's biggest miner of copper, a metal
central to the clean energy shift.
Some Anglo American investors, who asked not to be named
because of the sensitivity of the matter, told Reuters the
company is worth around 30 pounds a share.
Anglo shares closed at 26.43 pounds on Friday.
Much of the focus of BHP's bid has been on copper. A tie-up
with Anglo would forge a group accounting for about 10% of
global output of the metal, which due to its conductivity and
resistance to corrosion is used in everything from electric
vehicles and power grids to construction.
A deal, if successful, would be the largest mining takeover
globally in 2024 so far and would rank among the top 10 largest
deals ever for the sector, LSEG data showed.