financetom
Economy
financetom
/
Economy
/
U.S. companies' stock purchases via buybacks, M&A to hit 6-year high in 2024, Goldman says
News World Market Environment Technology Personal Finance Politics Retail Business Economy Cryptocurrency Forex Stocks Market Commodities
U.S. companies' stock purchases via buybacks, M&A to hit 6-year high in 2024, Goldman says
Mar 22, 2024 5:10 AM

(Reuters) - U.S. companies' purchases of domestic equities through more stock buybacks and corporate acquisitions will hit a six-year high of $625 billion this year, about as much as mutual funds and pension houses will offload, Goldman Sachs said.

"A surge in share buybacks and continued growth in cash mergers and acquisitions (M&A) will be the primary drivers of corporate equity demand," Cormac Conners, U.S. equity strategist at Goldman, said in a note dated March 21.

Earlier this month, the Wall Street bank said it expects S&P 500 companies' share repurchases to jump 13% to $925 billion this year, and then top $1 trillion next year.

Goldman cautioned that equity issuances this year will offset some of the purchases.

However, a much bigger offset, it estimated, would come via mutual funds and pension funds selling $300 billion and $325 billion of stocks, respectively, on a net basis.

The outflows in mutual funds will come as investors flock to passive index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), from actively managed ones, while pension funds will rotate capital towards lower-risk assets such as bonds, Conners said.

Moreover, the Presidential elections in November, the brokerage estimated, will lead to foreign investors offloading $50 billion worth of U.S. stocks this year, in stark contrast to last year when they bought stocks worth $179 billion.

"The U.S. is the global safe haven ... However, domestic uncertainty is likely to rise in conjunction with the Presidential election later this year," Conners said.

Besides corporates themselves, U.S. households will be the other group who will be net buyers of domestic stocks -- worth $100 billion -- this year, reversing course from being net sellers in 2023, the brokerage said.

The record $3.8 trillion households own in money market assets means they have ample funds, Conners said, but cautioned that the continuing allure of credit and elevated equity allocations could act as dampeners.

Comments
Welcome to financetom comments! Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. To fosterproductive and respectful conversations, you may see comments from our Community Managers.
Sign up to post
Sort by
Show More Comments
Related Articles >
Gen Z Is Graduating Into An AI Wall—Where Did The Jobs Go?
Gen Z Is Graduating Into An AI Wall—Where Did The Jobs Go?
Sep 21, 2025
Today's college graduates are walking into a job market that looks nothing like the one their older siblings entered, with artificial intelligence now taking over tasks that once formed the core of entry-level employment. The New York Federal Reserve reports that the unemployment rate for college graduates aged 22 to 27 hit 4.8% in June 2025. That's up from 3.8%...
Jerome Powell and Economists Agree: Gen Z Faces a Hiring Crisis And That's Not About AI
Jerome Powell and Economists Agree: Gen Z Faces a Hiring Crisis And That's Not About AI
Sep 21, 2025
In 2025, the rising unemployment rate among Americans under 25, specifically recent graduates, has become a significant economic concern. This problem seems to be uniquely American, stemming from a “no hire, no fire” economy, rather than the advent of artificial intelligence (AI). Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell is worried about the current labor market. He pointed out that young college graduates, minorities,...
Trump to impose $100,000 fee for H-1B worker visas, White House says
Trump to impose $100,000 fee for H-1B worker visas, White House says
Sep 21, 2025
By Aditya Soni and Nandita Bose (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump plans to impose a new $100,000 application fee for H-1B worker visas, a White House official said, potentially dealing a big blow to the technology sector that relies heavily on skilled workers from India and China. As part of his broader immigration crackdown, the Republican president was expected...
Trump to impose $100,000 fee for H-1B worker visas, White House says
Trump to impose $100,000 fee for H-1B worker visas, White House says
Sep 21, 2025
By Aditya Soni and Nandita Bose (Reuters) -U.S. President Donald Trump plans to impose a new $100,000 application fee for H-1B worker visas, a White House official said, potentially dealing a big blow to the technology sector that relies heavily on skilled workers from India and China. As part of his broader immigration crackdown, the Republican president was expected to...
Copyright 2023-2026 - www.financetom.com All Rights Reserved